Cinnamon-Scented Devils Food Cupcakes
- (30) 2 1/2 inch-wide by 1 1/2 inch-high paper panettone molds
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups freshly brewed New England Coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (about 7 oz) mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla or almond frosting
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray insides of 30 paper molds with nonstick spray; arrange paper molds on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. Combine sugar, coffee, buttermilk, oil, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla in another large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat egg mixture until blended. Add dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed until blended, scraping bowl occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each paper mold. Bake cupcakes, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and center is just firm to touch, about 24 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to racks and cool completely.
Frost cupcakes. (Can be made ahead. Arrange cupcakes in deep disposable roasting pans. Cover pans with foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days, or store at room temperature 1 day. Bring chilled cupcakes to room temperature before serving.)
Decorate cupcakes as desired up to 4 hours before serving.