Coffee Panna Cotta
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let soak about 10 minutes (do not stir).
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla bean, ground coffee, and sugar to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- As soon as it simmers, turn off the heat and add the gelatin mixture, stirring to dissolve the gelatin.
- If the gelatin doesn’t completely dissolve in 3 minutes, return the mixture to the heat and warm gently until dissolved.
- Strain through a fine strainer or chinois.
- Pour the mixture into 6 to 8 ramekins or dessert cups.
- Chill, uncovered for 2 hours.
- Dip the cups in hot water for 10 seconds, then turn the panna cottas out onto dessert plates (or, serve in the cups).